• 1990 : Guaranty Trust Bank plc was incorporated as a limited liability company licensed to provide commercial and other banking services to the Nigerian public in 1990.
• 1991 : The Bank commenced operations in February 1991.
• 1996 : In September 1996, Guaranty Trust Bank plc became a publicly quoted company.
• 2002 :
In February 2002, the Bank was granted a universal banking license and later appointed a settlement bank by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in 2003.
Guaranty Trust Bank Sierra Leone commenced operations in Sierra Leone in January 2002 through the successful acquisition of the 90% shareholding of the former First Merchant Bank of Sierra Leone
On the 5th of March 2002 GT Bank (Gambia) Limited was licensed by the Central Bank (CBG) to operate full commercial banking activities
• 2004 : Guaranty Trust Bank (Ghana) Limited was registered in Ghana in October 2004 and obtained its universal banking license from the Bank of Ghana on 23rd February, 2006.
• 2007 : Guaranty Trust Bank (Liberia) Limited was registered on June 7, 2007 and granted a full operational license on March 6, 2009.
• 2009 : Guaranty Trust Bank Côte d’Ivoire SA was registred in December 2009 and was licensed on July 7, 2011 by the Banque Centrale des Etats de l’Afrique de l’Ouest (BCEAO). Since April 16, 2012, it officially started its operations on April 16, 2012 by opening its doors to customers.
• 2013 : Guaranty Trust Bank acquired Fina Bank Group which had been in operation in Kenya with subsidiaries in Rwanda and Uganda.