ETI, currently the main shareholder of ECOBANK Group banks, was created in 1985 as a bank holding company at the initiative of the Federation of West African Chambers of Commerce with the support of ECOWAS. In the early 1980s, virtually There was, except Mali, no bank in West Africa belonging to the African private sector. ETI was founded to fill this gap. The Federation of West African Chambers of Commerce promoted and accompanies the launch of a project for the creation of a private regional banking institution in West Africa.
Since then, Ecobank has taken root almost everywhere in Africa, the bank operating in 33 of the 48 Sub-Saharan African countries. This expansion was made according to the following chronology:
• 1984 : Creation of Ecopromotions S.A..
• 1985 : Creation of ETI.
• 1988 : Opening of Ecobank Togo.
• 1989 : Establishment in Côte d'Ivoire and in Nigeria
• 1990 : Establishment in Benin and Ghana
• 1997 : Establishment in Burkina Faso
• 1998 : Establishment in Mali
• 1999 : Establishment in Guinea, Liberia, Niger and Senegal
• 2001 : Establishment in Cameroon
• 2004 : Establishment in Cape Verde
• 2006 : Establishment in Sierra Leone and Chad
• 2007 : Establishment in Central African Republic, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Rwanda and São Tomé and Príncipe
• 2008 : Establishment in Burundi, Congo-Brazzaville, Congo-Kinshasa, Kenya, Malawi and France.
• 2009 : Establishment in Gabon, Uganda and Zambia
• 2010 : Establishment in Tanzania
• 2011 : Establishment in Zimbabwe
• 2013 : Establishment in Equatorial Guinea and South Sudan
• 2014 : Establishment in Mozambique