• 1964 : dfcu Limited was started by the Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC) of the United Kingdom and the Government of Uganda through the Uganda Development Corporation (UDC) under the name of Development Finance Company of Uganda Limited. dfcu Limited was incorporated as a Private Limited Liability Company.
Later restructuring brought in other financial institutions as shareholders. Its objective was to support long-term development projects.
• 1999 : dfcu acquired Uganda Leasing Company which became dfcu Leasing, to provide direct asset based finance.
• 2000 : dfcu acquired Gold Trust Bank which became dfcu Bank, thus extending the services of the Bank to encompass general banking services in addition to the already existing equity finance, long term development finance, leasing, and working capital finance.
• 2004 : dfcu Limited is a Public Limited Liability Company converted on 18th March 2004, and was listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange on the 14th of October 2004.
• 2017 : dfcu Bank concluded a purchase and assumption agreement with Bank of Uganda on Friday 27 January 2017 in which dfcu Bank acquired some of the assets and assumed some of the liabilities of Crane Bank.