Old Mutual has a history of 170 years as a South African-based mutual society prior to its public listing in 1999. On this page you can access some of its historical highlights from 1845 to the present, pre- and post its demutualisation.
• 1845: The 166-member Mutual Life Association of Cape of Good Hope is founded.
• 1927: Old Mutual opens its first office in Zimbabwe (then Rhodesia).
• 1966: Old Mutual forms the SA Mutual Unit Trust Company Limited to administer its mutual fund/unit trust activities.
• 1970 : Old Mutual acquired a major shareholding in the newly formed Mutual & Federal, and later acquiring the remaining shares in 2010.
• 1973 : Old Mutual acquired shareholdings in Nedcor Bank (renamed the Nedbank Group in 2005)
• 1995: Old Mutual Investment Advisers is established in Boston, USA. Old Mutual opens offices in Hong Kong and Guernsey.
• 1997: Old Mutual acquires leading UK stockbrokers Capel-Cure Myers and Albert E. Sharp respectively which then merged to form Capel-Cure Sharp.
Old Mutual demutualises and lists on the London Stock Exchange (LSE), the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE), the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange (ZSE), The Malawi Stock Exchange (MSE), The Namibian Stock Exchange (NSX).
Old Mutual establishes a head office in London.
• 2000: Old Mutual acquires the Gerrard Group. Mutual & Federal acquires CGU Holdings SA.
Unified Life Insurance Co. is acquired and renamed American Life.
Nedcor and Old Mutual join forces in offshore private banking venture in the acquisition of Fleming Offshore Banking. The company was renamed Gerrard Private Bank but is now known as Fairbairn Private Bank.
Old Mutual Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance Co. Ltd India is launched. This is a joint venture between Old Mutual and Kotak Mahindra in India.
Old Mutual acquires Fidelity & Guarantee Life.
Old Mutual purchases Sage Life (Bermuda).
Old Mutual sells Gerrard Management Services Limited to Barclays Bank plc.
• 2004: Mutual & Federal Investments (Proprietary) Limited announces the results of its offer to acquire the minority interests in Mutual & Federal Insurance Company Limited ("Mutual & Federal")
Nedcor Limited renamed Nedbank Group Limited.
Old Mutual offers to buy Skandia.
• 2007: Old Mutual SA redefines its investment profile with the launch of the Old Mutual Investment Group (SA) that comprises 12 performance-driven, autonomous investment businesses.
Old Mutual strengthens its distribution capability through the acquisition of Aiva in Uruguay.
Old Mutual sells Skandia Nordic to Skandia Liv.
• 2013 :
Old Mutual acquires 22seven in South Africa, a free app that helps you manage your money.
Old Mutual strengthens operations in Africa with the acquisition of Provident Life Assurance in Ghana and Oceanic Life in Nigeria.
• 2014 : Skandia Colombia renamed to Old Mutual Colombia, Provident Life Assurance renamed to Old Mutual Ghana and Skandia UK renamed to Old Mutual Wealth. Later in 2014, Old Mutual Wealth sold Skandia Germany, Skandia Austria and Skandia Poland.