• 1998 : The bank received its license from the Central Bank of Nigeria in 1989, and listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange in 1998.
• 2002: Access Bank was taken over by a core of new management led by Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede and Herbert Wigwe.
• 2005: Access Bank acquired Marina Bank and Capital Bank (the former Commercial Bank (Crédit Lyonnais Nigeria)) by merger.
• 2007: Access Bank established a subsidiary in Banjul, The Gambia.
Access Bank acquired 88% of the shares of Omnifinance Bank, which was established in 1996.
It also acquired 90% of Banque Privée du Congo, which South African investors had established in 2002.
Access Bank acquired 75% of the shares of Bancor SA, in Rwanda. Bancor had been established in 1995 and reorganized in 2001.
In September Access Bank opened a subsidiary in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
In October, the bank opened subsidiaries in Lusaka, Zambia and in London, United Kingdom.
Finbank (Burundi) joined the Access Bank network
Access Bank Ghana completed all regulatory requirements by the Bank of Ghana and commenced operations in May 2009 as a full service commercial bank.
• 2012: Access Bank announced in January the conclusion of its acquisition of the former Intercontinental Bank, creating an expanded Access Bank,
• 2014 :
At the beginning of the year 2014, Access Bank Plc divested its interest in Access Bank Côte d’Ivoire to Afriland Bank, a Cameroonian banking group.
At the beginning of the year 2014, Access Bank Plc divested its interest in the bank to Dillux S.A, an Investment Company incorporated in Mauritius